Thursday, July 3, 2008

Delhi

Stayed at a really sketchy hotel right behind Jamu Masjid, a huge mosque in Old Delhi. Only 300 rupees a night ($1 USD=42 Rupees). Jamu Masjid is enormous- it holds 25,000+ people.

Highlights of my one day in Delhi include:
-Jamu Masjid
-The Red Fort
-Gahndi's cremation site
-Canaught place (a market)
-dinner at United coffee house (very old- the guide book recoomended it- i thought it was over rated)
-gave my leftovers to a street family with about 6 kids.

I tried to DHL my tablas back, but it's $275!! They only do overnight shipping, and that's much much more than the tablas even cost! I guess I'll wait until europe.

When I woke up at 5 to go the airport for my flight to Patna, it seemed that most of the city's 40,000 street inhabitants were sleeping on the sidewalk outside my hotel. I had to step over and around them to get to the cab. quite an experience. remember, there are also goats, cows, stray dogs, horses, autorickshaws, bikes, and more on the streets here. Pretty different than Colorado Springs.

1 comment:

chris mandia said...

i think it's really cool what you're doing. are you in the peace corps or something?